I have no idea how to tell if Metformin is “working” except that we become pregnant.
So basically, to keep track, these are the changes I have noticed so far. I’ve been on it for almost 5 weeks.
- Less body hair. Facial hair (those nasty chin hairs) and hair around the abdomen is getting thinner and lessening.
- Egg White Cervical Mucus (EWCM) showed up AGAIN, the third time in a year.
- Nipples aren’t as stiff, just very sore and sensitive.
- The EWCM and sore nipples showed up at day 30 of a (typically) 75 day cycle. If this is indicative that I ovulated, then my period should come by the 44th day!
- Less sugar cravings. That being said, we stopped eating added sugar and now neither of us crave anything sweet.
- Measurement around waist went down 3 inches! Measurement around bust went down 2 inches.
Main concern I have is that my doctor won’t increase my dosage beyond 500 mg. The main reason is that my AC1 test says I have normal glucose levels. If he increases my dosage, he worries that I will become hypoglycemic and pass out.
But I keep reading about women who were put on 1500 mg or 2000 mg before they were able to conceive. I am guessing they were also pre-diabetic (common with PCOS), and my doctor said my blood work looked amazing for someone struggling with PCOS.
He seemed confident that I will be able to conceive on this low dose of metformin, and if we don’t by August, he says to come back and we can discuss other steps.
I personally want to avoid taking Clomid, because my husband is a twin (identical!) and I’d rather not deal with the chance of multiples….